Book Sales

My first print run of 100 copies sold out, but I have had a second printing of an additional 250 copies done this year. So more are available, now at a cost of $20 CAD. My second book, Twelve Steps for Everyday Living, is now available for purchase for $15 CAD. It is my attempt, based on my experience and those who've been a part of my recovery journey, to transform the 12 Steps into a tool for anyone to use to navigate the challenges and trials of life.

In Serenity,

Scott    Email: sastewart74@gmail.com

Review it? Do you have a copy and enjoy what you have read? Can you help me promote it by leaving a good review at Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21939460-lean-on-me)? Thanks for your support.

In other news, after a long debate and some peer pressure, I have started a second blog, along the same vein as Lean on Me, but in my second language. You can check it out here - Tomber dans l'appui.

Friday 6 June 2014

June 6

”Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.”
William James
I have to admit I’m a pretty typical male when it comes to communication. I tend to be able to focus on only one topic at a time, and I get lost easily if someone is “channel surfing” through the subjects. This means that my communications with women are not usually trivial. My mind simply does not work like theirs; everything is not connected to everything. I like it simple: one thing at a time, and when we’re done, and identify we’re done, and then I can shelve the box labelled Topic X and prepare myself to discuss Topic Y.
This is evident in my relationship with my partner. My thoughts work best from my warehouse of individually labelled boxes, hers from the spaghetti-nest of interconnected wires. It’s the way we are, and not something either one of us can change. But the key here is awareness. Having a better understanding of how we think ourselves, and how each other processes information, can help us set up the environmental conditions for more productive talks. If she can decrease her multi-tasking, and I make sure that I am in conversation mode (and not pointedly focused on something else) it starts removing barriers that affect our communication.
Most of our conflicts arise because we didn’t take time to prepare the scene for a talk, remove barriers and make sure it is the right time/place/etc. to have the discussion. Being more deliberate, especially when we have important matters to converse about, goes a long way to ensuring a successful discussion.
Affirmation
It’s important for me to set the stage before having certain conversations. Removing potential barriers can make things go much more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment