Book Sales

My first print run of 100 copies sold out, but I have had a second printing of an additional 250 copies done this year. So more are available, now at a cost of $20 CAD. My second book, Twelve Steps for Everyday Living, is now available for purchase for $15 CAD. It is my attempt, based on my experience and those who've been a part of my recovery journey, to transform the 12 Steps into a tool for anyone to use to navigate the challenges and trials of life.

In Serenity,

Scott    Email: sastewart74@gmail.com

Review it? Do you have a copy and enjoy what you have read? Can you help me promote it by leaving a good review at Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21939460-lean-on-me)? Thanks for your support.

In other news, after a long debate and some peer pressure, I have started a second blog, along the same vein as Lean on Me, but in my second language. You can check it out here - Tomber dans l'appui.

Tuesday 12 August 2014

In Memorium

'Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.' The Latin term for that sentiment is Carpe Diem. Now who knows what that means?...Seize the day. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Why does the writer use these lines?...Because we are food for worms, lads. Because, believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day gonna stop breathing, turn cold, and die.
Now I would like you to step forward over here and peruse some of the faces from the past. You've walked past them many times. I don't think you've really looked at them. They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you. Their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen. Do you hear it? Carpe. Hear it? Carpe. Carpe Diem. Seize the day boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
Robin Williams

_______________________________________________________________

I'm breaking from my writing pattern for a special occasion, the untimely passing of someone who has, likley unbeknowst to him, been a major role model for most of my life. Dead Poet's Society has remained my favorite movie of Robin Williams. My Captain has gone forth from the land, and not in a way I had hoped he might. His loss, especially as a suicide, has not change my opinion of him. Having faced demons of my own, I feel I can sympathize and understand, at least to a degree, where he has been.

And in the same moment, this event has brought about a mix of emotions. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. I am a big fan, I have had the blessing of meeting my idol in person backstage during one of his stand-up tours. I thought so well of him, that I have an unsent letter sitting in my computer, that was to accompany a copy of my meditation book as a gift of appreciation for the inspiration his career and talent has given me. That letter which has been written for 3 months while I wait for the right moment to send it. And then come the questions, did I wait too long to send it? Would he have received it and read it? Could I somehow have changed his path through that gesture? Then comes the reality of accepting that I will never know as I cannot go back into the past and make things different. Did I miss my chance to seize the day?

We are all worms for food, that is the fate that awaits each of us. Do I have the courage to take the reins in my life, to act with extraordinary courage and fearlessly pursue my dreams? Maybe I have been listening too long, waiting for the perfect moment, and instead need to act more swiftly before I am too late. Life is precious and fragile. Our grasp and understanding of the world and reality is often tenuous at best. Moments like these are a harsh reminder that none of us escapes this mortal coil alive. Therefore every moment is a gift and should be treated with care, and used to the best of its ability. So the unsent letter, although it may be too late to reach the intended recipient, is going in the mail tomorrow. Many other things that have been put aside now seem more important to me. I know for myself, this tragic loss will not be in vain, and it will be another source to fuel my recovery, my giving back to the world for the recovery and serenity I have found. Thank you Robin for being a source of inspiration that will carry on well after you have gone from this life. I know that Heaven is a much happier place now that you are there. God bless you and keep you, thanks for all the tears, all the laughter and for being who you were. Genie, you're free.

No comments:

Post a Comment