Book Sales

My first print run of 100 copies sold out, but I have had a second printing of an additional 250 copies done this year. So more are available, now at a cost of $20 CAD. My second book, Twelve Steps for Everyday Living, is now available for purchase for $15 CAD. It is my attempt, based on my experience and those who've been a part of my recovery journey, to transform the 12 Steps into a tool for anyone to use to navigate the challenges and trials of life.

In Serenity,

Scott    Email: sastewart74@gmail.com

Review it? Do you have a copy and enjoy what you have read? Can you help me promote it by leaving a good review at Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21939460-lean-on-me)? Thanks for your support.

In other news, after a long debate and some peer pressure, I have started a second blog, along the same vein as Lean on Me, but in my second language. You can check it out here - Tomber dans l'appui.

Sunday 12 November 2017

November 12

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
J. K. Rowling
I believe that addiction, any addiction, is a disease of choice. That the addictive process affects the brain’s ability to make choices, to evaluate a situation and to understand the repercussions of our actions. As most significant recovery literature points out, without this disease, the threat of the consequences, the harm it can and does cause to ourselves and those around us, would be enough to make us stop. The fact that we, that I, continued to make choices to support my addiction and to act out in spite of the damage it would cause, confirms that belief.
I have learned in recovery that although I have this disease which affects how I make decisions, I am not doomed forever. The problem is only present when I am actively supporting my addict, and when I am sober, when I abstain from those behaviours and activities that are part of my addiction, I can and do make sane and healthy choices.
It is said that actions speak louder than words. By corollary, my abilities, the things I am capable of, are not worth much if they do no match my choices and how I decide to interact with the world around me. My program is giving me the tools and tips to be a productive and connected member of society, rather than isolating and only seeking to fulfill my own selfish desires. I am grateful for the gift of choice which has been restored to me by working the steps.

Affirmation
I will focus on my ability to make choices today, and work at making the best choices that I can to support my program and my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment